Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Something New for Your Family Table Week #32.....Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups

I am always looking for fun ways to use zucchini in the Summer. You can always find it at local farmers markets and it's one of those things that seems to grow abundantly in gardens, so people seem to pawn off their zucchini on anyone that will take it!
I found this recipe, made a few tweaks and we all loved it!
The recipe called for ground Italian sausage, but I had a few links of chicken sausage that I just thinly sliced. You could easily skip the sausage to make this a vegetarian dish. First step was thinly slicing the zucchini (I used my mandoline slicer), salting it, and layering it between paper towels to try and draw out some water. It said to do this for 15 minutes, but i would recommend closer to 30, as I ended up with a lot of water in my finished dinner.
While the zucchini was drying out, I made the filling.
Then I used about 1-2 TBSP of filling in each piece.  I rolled them a few different ways. The smaller pieces I stood up in my pan and the wider pieces I laid flat. 
I topped the zucchini with the sauce mixture and a sprinkle of cheese. The recipe called for 2 cups of mozzarella, but I only used about 3/4 cup. 
With just 20 minutes in the oven, it came out looking and smelling amazing! 
And I got two thumbs up from everyone at my family table!!
Have the best week friends!
See you soon, there is always room for one more at our family table. 
xoxo
Genevieve

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature