Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

What I Have Been Reading!

Happy Thursday friends!!!  Gosh it has been so long since I have done a book review! I am excited to share the last 8 books I have read. A mixed bag of suspense, romance, beach reads.... a little bit of everything!
Alright, let's get into some books!
The Last Mrs. Parrish by [Constantine, Liv]
I have had The Last Mrs. Parrish on my to be read list forever!  I had not read a good mystery/thriller in a while and was excited to read one. I finally read it....in one day... and it was good....but not edge of my seat good! This one is all about a girl who feels like she has not gotten the life she deserves and sets out to get it. I thought it was slightly predictable with maybe one big twist, but overall a good read!

Castle of Water: A Novel

I think Castle of Water was a recommendation from Mix & Match Mama. This was the story of two sole survivors of a plane crash and their continued survival on an island. It's not just a love story, but one of tenacity, survival and the human spirit. So well written, I fell in love with the characters from the beginning and was rooting for them until  the end. So good friends!

My Story
I was back and forth on reading this book and decided to pick it up. I have mixed reviews on this one, for the fact of how hard it was to get through. Elizabeth goes into detail describing her capture and time spent while being held captive. There were times it was difficult to read what she went through, even knowing she survived her capture. I thought it was well written, but as I said, just tough to get through. The thought of what happened to her really got to me as I read the book, but it was truly an amazing story of faith and survival. 
The Breakdown: A Novel
I loved The Breakdown from B.A.Paris!   I had really loved  Behind Closed Doors by the same author and was excited to read this one.  Casswas on her way home from a party one night and passed a woman in car broken down on the side of the road. It was late, rainy and she didn't stop to help. The next morning she finds out the woman was killed and is plagued with guilt for not stopping. She struggles with guilt and strange things happening as she tries to figure what happened that night. It had so many twists and turns, I was guessing until the end!

Swear on This Life: A Novel by [Carlino, Renée]
I LOVED this book. It was such a great twist on the typical love story. 
A woman realizes her childhood love has written a book about their relationship. The book goes back and forth between present day and their childhood and does such a great job of connecting the past & present day. Such a well written story with characters I was rooting for the whole time. The characters grew up with tough home lives and their friendship is what kept them going. (Warning- I would say the book is borderline R- rated)

Where the Crawdads Sing by [Owens, Delia]
Ok, so this book has been pretty much all over. If you haven't heard of someone reading it, you may be living under a rock! Ha!  This book has had a ton of rave reviews...... I thought it was ok. The story line was really good, intense but I felt like it dragged on a bit for me. I definitely was rooting for  the whole time Kya the whole time, but something was missing for me. 

The Identicals: A Novel
I love, love, love me some Elin Hilderbrand. I mean Summer and Elin go hand in hand for me. Her books are light enough to fall into a beach read but enough substance to really keep me engaged. I really enjoyed this one. The story of two sisters, split up and one living on Nantucket and the other on Martha's Vineyard. I loved the way she intertwined their stories... so good!

Secrets in Summer: A Novel by [Thayer, Nancy]
Nancy Thayer is another winner for me when it come to Summer/Beach reads. I fell in love with Darcy as she moved into her grandmother's house on Nantucket and dealt with her ex-husband spending the Summer living there too. The book shared so many great parts of growing through painful parts of life and developing friendships with people from all different walks of life. And as usual I am ready for a trip to Nantucket!

The Mother-in-Law: A Novel by [Hepworth, Sally]
Friends if you are not on the Sally Hepworth train, you should get on it. She just never lets me down! Lucy has always had a distant relationship with her mother in law, and when she turns up dead with a suicide note lots of fingers point to her. This is another one from Hepworth that is so well written and so unpredictable.  A really great Fall read!

Ok, what else do I need on my Fall reading list?? I am just wrapping up Racing in the Rain... I have Educated and Class Mom on my list. Let me know what else I need to read!
See you tomorrow for Friday Favorites... there is always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve

2 comments on "What I Have Been Reading!"
  1. I didn't really like Where the Crawdads sing either and actually quit reading it. And I adored the Sally Hepworth book. I have loved all of hers!
    I read After the End by Clare Mackintosh recently and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read The Sound of Gravel. A great (hard) book. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature