Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Something New for Your Family Table....Vegetarian Rice and Bean Casserole

Hey friends!!! Good to be back on a Monday sharing a recipe for Meatless Monday. So about a year and half ago we stared to eat more plant based meals and I have played around with a lot of different recipes. We try to have at least one or two meatless meals each week. I have shared quite a few plant based meals here and you can find them on the right hand side of the blog, under the category plant based.


Some of my favorite meals are those I can make ahead of time and have minimal work to do to get dinner on the table on busy weeknights. This Vegetarian Rice & Bean Casserole hits all of my key factors in a recipe.
1. I can make it ahead of time and warm up the day I need it.
2. My kids loved it.
3. It was delicious.
A bonus is it's a fairly low cost dinner, since you use canned beans.... much less expensive than using meat.
The only real hands on part of the recipe is sauteeing up some peppers and onions. The recipe calls for green pepper, but I subbed in red and yellow. I am not a huge fan of green peppers... I feel like they give me heartburn??? But I have no issues with the red or yellow ones?? Just me?
Such a pretty mix of pinto, black beans and corn. 
It calls for cooked rice. I often use these frozen portions of rice. They make life much easier some days! 
Throw it all together, add in some cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes. 
 We topped ours with some green onion and avocado. It was so good. You can grab the recipe here.
 I would call it a Mexican Casserole, in case your kids are scared of hearing "vegetarian" or "bean" and automatically think the worst!😉
Have a great week friends. See you back here on Wednesday for my latest book review... there is always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature