Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Something New for Your Family Table A New Banana Bread Recipe

 Happy Monday friends! We are coming off a pretty low key weekend.... a much needed low key one I may add! You will be happy to know that I finally unpacked my suitcase, 7 days after returning home. Now I head to Orlando this weekend for work, so I'll be packing it up again!

This weekend I made banana bread. I love banana bread and make it pretty often. But something about March and heading into Spring makes me feel like banana bread. Anyway, I had a recipe I loved and still do, but it called for buttermilk and that was just something I didn't always have on hand. So a few months ago I stumbled on a recipe that didn't call for it and tried it. And dare I say I like it even better? I wish I could tag the source who posted it, but I took a quick screenshot of the recipe and the source isn't there.


Here is what you will need

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large or 4 medium)

1/4 cup unsalted butter melted & slightly cooled

1/4 cup coconut oil melted & slightly cooled

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (can use coconut sugar)

1 large egg (room temperature)

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Walnuts, additional brown sugar, cinnamon for topping (optional)



Heat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper (9x4 or 8x4 will work) and set aside.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.


In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add the melted butter and oil and stir until combined. Stir in the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth. 


Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, don't overmix. If you overmix, the bread will flatten and end up heavy. 


Pour batter into prepared pan. I sprinkle with some chopped walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon for a delicious topping. But you can skip that step if you want. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check the bread at 50 minutes to be safe, as oven times vary. 



Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before slicing. If you baked in parchment paper you can just lift out to a cutting board to slice. If not, run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from pan. 



This is delicious warm, but also good at room temp!

Hope you enjoy!

See you back here on Wednesday, where there is always room for one more at our family table. 

xoxo

Genevieve




Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature