Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Something New for Your Family Table- Pork Carnitas

Happy Monday friends! I am back from a full weekend with something new for your family table. I hesitate to call it a "recipe" because there is not much to it, its' pretty simple. I began to make these a few years ago, as carnitas is my protein of choice at Chipotle. Most of this cooks in the slow cooker, so it's a fairly hands off meal. 

Here is what you will need for the pork.

4 lbs of pork (pork loin, boneless pork country ribs or pork shoulder)
One medium onion sliced thin
4-5 cloves of garlic (minced)
Juice of one lime
1 cup of broth 
2 TBSP cumin
1 TSP salt
1 TSP garlic powder
1/2 TSP Black Pepper



Layer in pork and cover with onions, garlic and seasoning. 
Add the lime juice and add about a cup of broth. 
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.



After I get the pork cooking, I like to make a quick slaw to go with it. I think it tastes best when it has a few hours in the fridge. I take a bag of pre-shredded purple cabbage, drizzle in a few tablespoons of olive oil, salt, lime juice and cilantro. I really don't measure much of it, just taste as I go. It's a nice fresh compliment to the carnitas. This is also my go to for fish tacos too.


Once the pork is done, I pull it out and shred it with two forks. This next step is optional, but I love the carnitas to be a little crispy. I put the shredded pork on a sheet pan and put in the broiler for a few minutes, just to get a golden crisp on the edges.


Whenever I make a Mexican inspired meal, we  have cilantro lime rice with it! It's pretty simplet, just cooked jasmine rice that I add a touch of butter, lime juice, salt and chopped cilantro to. My kids love it!!!


And then it's time to assemble. You know I love a bowl, so all mine gets put in a bowl. My kids build a burrito and load all the goodness in a tortilla! Hope you try this one, it's something a little different for the old Taco Tuesday!


Wishing you the best start to your week. I will see you back here on Wednesday. Rounding up some of my recent Amazon purchases to share!

See you soon, there is always room for one more at our family table. 

xoxo
Genevieve

 

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature