Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Turkey, Bean & Spinach Soup

Soups are a super easy answer to dinner.... and I am not talking about the soup from a can! Here is a simple recipe for a Turkey Meatball soup. Now you do have to make the meatballs ahead of time,but I always make a big batch so I can have some in the freezer, ready for another day.
For the meatballs
1lb ground turkey or chicken
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 cup oats (you can use bread crumbs, I just prefer the simplicity of oats)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Place all ingredients in a bowl and gently mix to combine... I just use my hands. Scoop meatballs about 1-1 1/4 inch in size onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I use a small scoop to keep them a similar size.
Cook for about 25 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. ***I usually double this recipe and make half of the mixture mini meatballs for soup and the other half a larger meatball for zoodles or pasta. I bake them all and freeze whatever I don't need.

For the Soup
2 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled & diced
4-6 cups of Chicken stock
1 15 oz can cannelini beans rinsed
8oz fresh spinach
In a large stock pot, heat the oil and add the onion and carrots. Saute until softened.
Add the chicken  stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the meatballs, beans, and add salt & pepper to taste. Stir in the spinach and cook for just a minute until wilted.
This is a really versatile soup base. You could sub in shredded chicken and noodles and make this a chicken noodle soup too. Soups are easy to swap things out ....just make your base and you can get creative with the rest!
Enjoy!

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature