Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

March Book Review

It't the last Thursday of the month & time for my monthly book review! A couple light beachy reads, a little suspense and a third book from one of my new favorite authors rounded out this month. I am linking up with Narci over at Grace and Love Blog for her monthly Carpool Book Club.  Be sure to check out her blog for all her picks too!!
                                       If you missed the last few, you can catch up below.....
A little recap on my March reads. The first two I finished up after vacation, so they are more in the beach read bucket!
one
This was the first book I read by this author,  Nantucket Sisters by Nancy Thayer and probably won't be the last. This was the story of two girls from very different lives who spent their summers together on Nantucket. The book follows them from the time they are 11 years old through early adulthood. There were a few surprises and some things played out differently than I expected. I liked that it was not predictable. A fun, light read that I think you will enjoy!
And between this book and all those I have read from Elin Hildebrand, I really need to get to Nantucket!
two

Another new to me author. I just loved this book! This followed three women in very different stages of life, each enduring a life changing event. I connected with all three characters and really enjoyed reading their stories. A very quick, fun read! I wish that there was another book that continues their stories.... and if you know of one out there, please let me know!
three

Now this one has been on my list to read for the last month....The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. So I have heard great things on this one, so I think I may have set the bar too high. Reviewers said if you liked Gone Girl or Girl on the Train this is a must read. Well I liked both of those so I got this one. I have to admit, I did not love it. I thought it was good....not great. This was the story of a woman chosen to go on the maiden voyage of a luxury ship through the Norwegian Fjords. She meets someone in Cabin 10 during the first day.....witnesses something horrific....and then all is not what it seems. It was not predictable, rather I was surprised how it ended, however I just didn't love it. I did connect with the main character enough to make it a "can't put it down" type of book. But yes it was similar to the one I mentioned, and if rank them in order of my favorites....
1. Gone Girl
2. Girl on the Train
3. The Woman in Cabin 10
four 

The Secret Life of Violet Grant. So this is my third month with a book by Beatriz Williams. I read A Hundred Summers and Tiny Little Thing by her earlier this year. I loved both of them!  As I began reading this one, there were characters that crossed over to Tiny Little Thing! I did not expect that and thought it was fun.
Now I have 80 pages left on this one, so unless the ending doesn't sit well I would highly recommend this one! Vivian is a journalist and discovers a suitcase belonging to a mysterious aunt, Violet Grant. Violet disappeared and it has always been speculated that she murdered her husband and ran off with her lover. Vivian is on a mission to uncover what really happened..something her family would rather not do. It's a very good read with great characters that have a parallel to them.. grab this one for sure!
But like I said... I still have the ending, so I will let you know if it changes my thoughts on this one.
So there you have it.... my March reads!
Any great recommendations out there for April?? I have been keeping a list of books that other bloggers have reviewed, along with recommendations from my readers. Slowly, but surely crossing them off.
Here's my recipe for a little treat... Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies. Can't beat a warm cookie and a good book!
See you tomorrow for Friday Favorites....there's always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve



4 comments on "March Book Review"
  1. I agree with you on The Woman in Cabin 10. It was alright but not great. Nantucket Sisters is on my list to read and I really enjoy Susan Mallery's books. I don't think I've read a bad on yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber... I was worried I was alone in not loving it after hearing so many recommend it! And Nantucket Sisters was so good!

      Delete
  2. The Secret life of Violet Grant!!! Soooooo good! I'm starting Along the Infinite Sea next. It's Peppers sorry. I'll let you know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Kell... I loved it! I may have to grab Along the Infinite Sea next...I can't get enough!

      Delete

Custom Post Signature