Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Five Meals for Your Family Table....Week 11

Happy Spring!!! Gosh I hope the weather starts acting Spring-like around here! I am ready to do more grilling and can't wait to get fresh produce from local farms. Sharing 5 meal ideas for your family table this week, including a new favorite...Hummus crusted chicken. Grab your pen & paper and write your grocery list.

one
These Black Bean Enchiladas are so good, filling and I love that I can make them a few days ahead on my prep day.  I found the recipe a few years ago here and have been making them ever since. You can get the recipe here. I follow the recipe pretty closely, except I only use about half the cheese that is called for. You can make these ahead of time and just bake them up when ready. We top ours with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and some sliced avocado.
two
I made this Hummus Crusted Chicken a few weeks ago and it was such a hit! I put about a pound of chicken breasts in a 13*9 glass dish, sprinkle with salt & pepper and cover in about 3/4 cup of hummus. I used garlic hummus, but you can use any flavor you want. Bake at 450 for about 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. We paired with with some Mediterranean couscous. Toss cooked couscous with some chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, kalamata olives, parsley, and feta. Drizzle with a little EVOO, the juice of half a lemon and season with salt & pepper. It's such a fresh dish!
three
Steak Stir Fry Bowls. I know I have talked up stirfry before, but they are just so easy and such a great way to get in a lot of veggies! For this stirfry I heat up a couple tablespoons of EVOO in my wok over medium- high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the bite size steak, and season with salt & pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until the meat is browned, tossing frequently. Remove the meat to a plate and saute your veggies. I add about 4-5 cups of veggies. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and let the veggies steam for about 5 minutes until just softened.  In this batch, I used bell peppers, spinach, and onions. Add your steak back in.  I like to keep the sauce clean... a few shakes of liquid aminos and the juice of half an orange.  For this rice, I cooked some brown rice and set aside. I cooked three eggs in a fry pan, breaking it up an then added the rice. Top the rice with your stirfry mixture, chopped scallions & sesame seeds.
four
Good old fashioned meatloaf and baked potatoes. I must admit- I just made baked potatoes for my family for the first time a few weeks ago. Neither of my kids have ever been big on potatoes, so we eat a lot of sweet potatoes, quinoa and brown rice with our dinners. They loved the baked potatoes! I made extra and chopped them up with some eggs for breakfast the next morning. I jazzed up the meatloaf by adding some sauteed onions & mushrooms. It gave some nice flavor and texture to the meatloaf.
five
This Roasted Shrimp Pasta with spinach & tomatoes is a simple dinner for the end of the week. I roasted a pound of shrimp seasoned with a little EVOO and salt and pepper. In a large bowl, I put in a pint of cherry tomatoes (halved), a few cups of fresh spinach, some chopped black olives and  2-3 TBSP of an herb infused olive oil. I tossed in some warm pasta and the spinach began to wilt. Season with a little salt & pepper and plate with some of the shrimp and feta cheese. (the kids went with parmesan cheese),
A few things to prep to make the dinner hour a little easier....
Make your enchiladas and bake them when you need them.
Chop your veggies for the Mediterranean couscous.
Chop and bag your veggies for your strifry.
Be sure to stop by tomorrow for Tuesday Talk... sharing a special story about an extra special person.
xoxo
Genevieve

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature