Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Something New for Your Family Table #7....Pasta with Caramelized Sweet Potatoes & Kale

Hey there friends!! Well we are about 2 months in to making more plant based meals a part of our weekly menu and let me tell you... I am loving it!
I am going to share some of my thoughts and tips about this in a post next month. I am by no means an expert, just sharing what I have found with eating more plant based meals.
 I came across this recipe for Pasta with Caramelized Sweet Potatoes & Kale and it was a hit!!
Now I will tell you I made a few substitutions and I will share why. 
The start of the recipe is getting together the main ingredients. I subbed butternut squash for the sweet potato.  A similar texture, so it worked. My kids are not huge sweet potato fans (and I have tried making them 100 different ways), but they love butternut squash.
I also subbed the kale with spinach for no reason other than I had a bunch of fresh spinach the day I was making this and wanted to use some up.

First up you caramelize the squash with some butter. And while that is happening you can cook your pasta. 
Then you caramelize some red onions. This helps to take some of the bite out and makes them a bit sweeter. 
Then you wilt the kale, or in my case spinach. 
Toss everything together with the pasta..... 
And top with a little Parmesan cheese. 
My crew gobbled this one up. It had a really great mix of flavors, different from any pasta dish we have had before. You can grab the original recipe and all the details here.
If you need a full week of meal ideas, you can check out this meal plan.
Have the best week!
Be sure to stop by tomorrow for my February Book Review....there's always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature