Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Something New for Your Family Table Week #27...BBQ Brussel Sprout Tacos

Ok, so I know you are probably reading this title and you are like what?!?! You are using brussel sprouts and calling it a taco?  
Yes, I am. We have been trying to eat more plant based meals this year and I saw a fellow blogging friend, Brittany talk about brussel sprout tacos.
My family loves them, so I began searching for some recipe ideas and found one that looked good and I made a few tweaks.You can grab the recipe here.
I started out roasting a sheet pan of sprouts. I halved them, tossed in a little olive oil, sprinkled with salt & pepper and roasted at 425 for around 20 minutes.
While the sprouts were roasting I made a quick slaw. I have shared a similar one on the blog here before. It's one we use with our fish or shrimp tacos too.
 Mix up a bag of shredded cabbage (I like the purple) with some shredded carrots and scallions. Drizzle with olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt & pepper. It's one of those recipes you need to taste...... and then add more lime or salt if needed.
When the sprouts were finished, I added them to a can of drained and rinsed black beans and tossed with about 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce. 
Then we assembled our tacos with the slaw, sprout mixture, cheese (pepper jack for us and cheddar for the kids) and a few black olives. 
I skipped the tortilla and made a "taco bowl".  
So I know I may have scared you with the brussel sprout taco concept, but trust me....they were so good and so filling!!!
Have a great week friends!
See you tomorrow, there is always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature