Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Monthly Book Review....July Edition

It's the last Thursday of the month & time for my monthly book review!  I am linking up with Narci over at Grace and Love Blog for her monthly Carpool Book Club.  Be sure to check out her blog for all her picks too!!
                              
I was so excited for my July list because I had one from a favorite author, one that has been on my "to read" list ,a great beach read, and one that I stumbled on at the library.
one
The first one this month was Wicked City by Beatriz Williams.
Now if you have followed my other book reviews, then you know I am a big fan of Williams. I have loved her work. I am so sad to say I did not love this one (insert sad face here). It was the story of two young women set in two time periods. Gin was in the 1920's during prohibition and Ella in more current day in NYC. The book went back and forth between the two and there was a sort of connection between the two characters... but I don't know. I didn't fall in love with the characters and it just never really got going for me. I was really bummed, because I just adored the other books from her. If you are going to pick up a Beatriz Williams book, I recommend starting with Tiny Little Thing. Any other Williams fans out there read this one? Let me know your thoughts.
two
After my disappointing first book, I wanted an easy beach read. Summer House from Nancy Thayer was in my pile.
This was a perfect beach read. This story followed a wealthy grandmother (Nona) from Nantucket (again I need to visit here) and the doings of her children and grandchildren. One of her grandchildren, Charlotte has left the family banking business to live with her and start an organic garden. The story details one Summer where all of the family comes back to Nantucket to visit and host the family meeting. There are lots of little twists in the "perfect lives" of the wealthy and we get a glimpse into Nona's past and how things may not always have been perfect for her either. A great, quick, Summer read!
three
I have had "The Things We Keep" by Sally Hepworth on my "to read" list for a while.
 I was excited to read this one. Oh gosh it was so good....but kind of sad at the same time. It's the story of Anna, a 30something woman who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's, a disease her mother also suffered from. Her brother places her in an assisted care facility, where she meets a young man, Luke, who also has a form of dementia. They instantly form a connection, but are kept apart until the new staff member comes along and tries to change it. It's a beautiful story about human connection....heartbreaking....and yet gives you hope.
four
My last book this month was The Perfect Neighbors by Sarah Pekkanen.
This was the story of three women living in Newport Cove, one of the safest (and most perfect) communities. We got to learn a little about each as they met their new neighbor, Tessa, who was desperately trying to escape her past. Everyone has a secret to tell, and while this book was not super suspenseful, it was a quick read and a good story. Kind of reminded me of that show Desperate Housewives.😉 This was the first book I have read from this author, and I will for sure grab another one by her. I enjoyed her style of writing.
If you missed any of our other reviews, you can catch up here.
Any other great books I need to get on my list next month?? I have two vacations planned, so lots of reading time!! Drop your favorites in the comments!
Have a great day and we will see you tomorrow for Friday Favorites. There's always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve
2 comments on "Monthly Book Review....July Edition"
  1. Oh I LOVED Sally Hepworth's The Things We Keep! It definitely gave me all the feels! I read Along the Infinite Sea by Williams this month and really quite enjoyed it but haven't read The Wicked City as most reviews have said it wasn't as good as her others as you said...I'll have to pick up Tiny Little Thing next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rechelle! Yes...The Things We Keep was so good. And I would have to say skip Wicked City, but Tiny Little Thing I loved!

      Delete

Custom Post Signature