Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Tuesday Talk......School Organization

Hi friends! I am linking up with  Erika Ashley for Tuesday Talk. A monthly link up where we can talk about any and everything!
I have really been all over the board this year with my topics...
 Not sure about you but this is kind of how I feel after the fist full week of school and activities.
I thought it was a perfect time to talk about all the school papers that come home. As in....what the heck are we supposed to do with all of it? Keep everything? Toss everything? 
My kids come home day one with stacks of papers. Some to fill out, some to return. I pretty much block off the first full week of school to fill out papers, send in registrations and write checks.
I am super thankful our school implemented an electronic backpack this year. Each Friday we get an email and can review any notices or upcoming events. This is amazing. I mean it felt like everyday they came home with the same flyers.....seemed like such a waste of paper. Now I like that I can review it each week online. The only catch is remembering to log in and check it out each week😉 

Now onto all the projects and worksheets that come home. This is where it gets tricky. I think we have all had that moment when your teary eyed 6 year old looks at you when they spot their math sheet in the trash.
 Or is that just me? 
I try to think of my kids when I sort through it. Do they really want every piece of school work when they are older? Probably not. So I get a small container each year for each of my kids and that is what I fill with stuff. In addition to school stuff I keep anything else fun from that year- special birthday cards, awards, pictures, etc.
So how to decide what to keep and what to toss? I do a few things. 
First, my kids have a routine of unpacking their bags as soon as they come home from school and putting all papers in a pile on the island. I try and go through them everyday, usually while I am making dinner.  I don't like it getting out of control, so I try to take care of it daily. Any special projects or holiday art or a great test gets hung on the fridge (before moving to the bin). The rest gets recycled.
I use these questions as a guide to what I keep.
1. Is it something funny or sweet? 
2. Will I regret tossing it?
3. Is it a special memory?
4. Have I kept something similar?
5. Is it a good example of their skills?
My best tip is to just keep on top of it and not let it get too out of control. And if you are going to toss something....do it when no one is looking!

You guys have any fun tips on this?? Please share in the comments below.
Have a great Tuesday!!
xoxo
Genevieve
1 comment on "Tuesday Talk......School Organization"
  1. We have the struggle with tossing also. My daughter is in Kindergarten and wants me to keep everything. I also have to send some papers with her to her fathers and she wants him to just have the writing papers, when I know he would like some of the crafts too. It is a struggle but we are trying different things, and lots disappear when she isn't looking.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature