Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Something New for Your Family Table Week #14....Butternut Squash Lasagna

Good Monday morning friends!!  I am so excited to share this plant based meal with you. It has been one of my favorites so far as we have explored more meatless meals. I found this recipe from Brittany over at A Healthy Slice of Life.
It is so full of flavor, my crew and I just loved it. 
Here are a few of my thoughts on the recipe itself. You can get the full recipe here. Lots of mushrooms go into this dish, giving it that heartiness. I will tell you that Paul was not even aware it was meatless until I mentioned it to him!

The filling was similar to most other basic lasagnas... ricotta, spinach, eggs.. with one exception.This recipe called for fresh lemon zest. Do.Not.Skip.This.Step. You can taste the brightness of the lemon and it is so, so good! 
Some pureed butternut squash goes in with the mushrooms and sauce. 
 Fresh basil finishes the sauce. Again, a step you should not skip. The fresh basil really makes the sauce "pop".
  Then you get to assembling. Layering each cooked lasagna noodle with some of the ricotta mixture, sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. This is a great step for kids to help with too!
Roll them up, tuck them in a dish..... 
And top with a little more sauce and cheese before baking in the oven. 
These rollups may look complicated, but the steps are pretty simple and well worth it, as this meal is delicious! 
I think you should put these on your meal plan this week!
Have a great week. See you tomorrow, there's always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature