Food, family, and fitness... all with a bit of style.

Tuesday Talk....Mom & Daughter Chat Edition

Hi friends! I am linking up with  Erika &  Ashley for Tuesday Talk. A monthly link up where we can talk about any and everything!
In January we talked about the crazy snowstorm we had here...Snowvember!
In February we chatted about having kids pack themselves for trips!
Last month we talked about eating more plant based meals.
This month is about a Tuesday Talk I had with my not so little girl about some changes happening over the next couple years. And this my friends, sums up how I feel.....
Image result for girl growing up quote

Whew... to be honest, this Mama heart was not 100% ready to open those doors, but it was time. Our school district has a program, Project Know that offers information to students entering middle school around puberty and changes that they will go through. I thought it was a good time to chat about it with her first, before she went through the student program.
But thinking it was a good idea knowing where to start were two different concepts. I mean I was just changing her diaper a second ago and now we have to talk pads and tampons! EEK!!
Luckily, I had a friend recommend this book and after going through it, I would highly recommend it too!
The Care & Keeping of You 1
There are two versions. Book 1 is for younger girls and book 2 for older girls. We got book 1 and I found it very age appropriate for Ella, who is in 5th grade.

They also have one for boys, that I will have to look at for Luke when he is entering middle school.

This book had me from this first page.
It talked about how mom has taken care of you and know it's time to do some things on your own. I thought it was a great introduction to this next "phase" in life.
It was laid out sort of as a head to toe run down of changes that may happen. Everything from needing to shower more frequently, to sun safety, a healthy diet, leg shaving and the other parts of getting your period and breast changes..this book does a great job of covering all the bases with age appropriate wording.
 I really liked the layout too, as it helped cover a lot of topics. When you think about it, there are a lot of changes and the book helped to take it step by step without being too overwhelming or leaving anything out.
Another favorite part was this page here.
Everyone will go through these changes at different times and at a different pace. I think this is a really important topic to spend some time on and the book did a great job on that. Again, it covered so many great topics...some basic, some that made her blush and lots that made her giggle.

So while I do miss that chubby cheek little girl, I love this new stage too. After she and I went through all this stuff, I feel like there's a secret bond with us now. Whenever she sees an add for a feminine product she gives me a little smile, like she has gotten in on the big secret.

Although a funny story to go along with this. Ella & I had gone through the book together and talked about it a lot. I left it with her and told her to always come to me if she ever had any questions. That same night she came to me and quietly whispered that she needed to talk to me. She said she was reading through it and there was a part about not sticking a q-tip too far in her ear. She wanted to make sure I was cleaning her ears correctly! Ha! So all that info in there and her question was on q-tips😉

So while it tugs at my Mama heart a bit to see her growing up... I love being there every step of the way and hearing all about it.

Have a great day friends!
See you tomorrow, there's always room for one more at our family table.
xoxo
Genevieve


2 comments on "Tuesday Talk....Mom & Daughter Chat Edition"
  1. That book brings back so many memories for me! That was my little guide to all things growing up! I'm glad to see others use it as well!

    All the best, Shan @slayitagainshan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the same books with my daughter, and thought they were so well done. I didn't know there was one for boys. Wish I had known that with my son!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature